Over 95 million posts are shared on Instagram every day. But not every post has what it takes to capture the users’ attention, garner engagement, and nudge them towards taking action. So, what can you do differently to ensure your post isn’t one of the 95 million to get lost in a sea of Instagram content? Add catchy music to make your posts stand out and attract users.
In this article, we’ll tell you how to add music to an Instagram post from within the app and with third-party apps. Stick with us till the end, and we’ll also show you where to source trendy music outside of Instagram to truly make your posts scroll-stopping.
Table of Contents
- How to add music to Instagram Stories
- How to add music to Instagram Reels
- How to add music to Instagram video feed posts
[#TOC1]How to add music to Instagram Stories[#TOC1]
The easiest way to add music to your Instagram stories is to do it from within the app. Let’s learn how to add music to a picture or video on Instagram. Follow this simple step-by-step process:
- Go to your Instagram profile, and click on the + button in the top right corner. Choose Story from the list of options.
- Select the image or video you want to add music to from your camera roll. Click on the sticker icon on the top of your screen.
- Tap on the Music sticker.
- You’ll get a list of trending music based on the kind of content you consume. Choose your preferred track from the Instagram music library or search for a specific song using the search bar at the top. Click on the play icon next to the song name if you want to hear the music before selecting it for your video.
- After selecting the track, you’ll see a prompt to adjust the part of the music you’d like to take up for your video. Use the slider to select the exact portion you want, and click on Done at the top right corner.
- You can also choose how you want the music sticker to appear on your stories—as the song name or as lyrics in different fonts.
And just like that, you’ve successfully added music to your Instagram story for your audience to enjoy!
[#TOC2]How to add music to Instagram Reels[#TOC2]
Think about Instagram reels, and the first thing that will come to your mind is trends. And what are trends without the music that makes those trends viral in the first place? Besides, many creators who create original reels with talking-head videos use music in the background to cash in on trendy music, make the reel more catchy, and rake in more views.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Open your profile and click on the + icon at the top right. Choose Reel from the list of options. Add your video from the camera roll or record one using the camera feature.
- Once your video is ready, tap on Audio on the right side of your screen.
- Choose from the recommended music tracks—many of which are trending music that can help you get more views. You can also search for your preferred track in the Instagram music library using the search bar.
Use the play button beside each song to hear the track before using it in your reel.
- Once you select your music, use the slider to adjust the exact part of the music you want to use in your video and click on Done in the top right corner (just like for stories).
- Click on Next to watch your video with the music.
- Click on the music icon at the top if you want to add a voiceover to your video.
- Tap on Voiceover at the bottom.
- Begin recording your audio by clicking on the red button in the middle. Once you’re satisfied, click Done.
- You’ll see the Original Audio, Camera Audio, and Voiceover volume levels. Use the slider to adjust the volumes according to your liking and hit Done at the top right.
- Once you’re satisfied with the video, click on Next at the bottom right.
Choose your cover from the video frames, or add one from your camera roll. Add an exciting caption and find relevant hashtags—and you’re ready to take your reel live!
[#TOC3]How to add music to Instagram video feed posts[#TOC3]
While Instagram allows you to add music to your Instagram feed videos (within 60 seconds), there’s a difference between editing tools available on reels and stories vs. feed posts longer than 60 seconds. On stories and reels, you can add music through the in-app Instagram editor. But with feed posts, when you select the video you want to upload or record using the in-app camera, you won’t have an option to add music.
However, you can easily add sound effects, and non-Instagram music through an easy-to-use and feature-rich video editor like VEED.
Later in this article, we’ll also show you some platforms you can use to find third-party music for your feed videos.
Let’s look at how to add music to post on Instagram through VEED’s online editor:
- Sign up if you haven’t already, or log into VEED. Click on Create new project.
- Upload your video, drag and drop or enter a YouTube URL for the video you want to add music to. You can even record a fresh video from within the app.
- Go to the Media tab on the left-hand side menu. Click on Upload to import the track from your device.
- The audio will get added to your video, and you’ll see the track right below the video in the timeline at the bottom. Click on the track, and you’ll get a list of audio options on the left side of your video. From here, you can adjust the volume, speed, and duration and replace audio.
- (Optional) Customize your video to make it more attention-grabbing. Add sound waves from the Elements tab, add subtitles, resize your video, add text, progress bars, etc. You can also resize your video for all Instagram post sizes with a click of a button using VEED’s canvas resize.
- Once you’re satisfied with the video, click on Export in the top right corner, choose your resolution and click on Export again to download and share your video on Instagram.
[#MUSIC]Where to Get Music for Instagram Videos?[#MUSIC]
If you’re not adding or editing your music from Instagram’s in-app editor, you can use external, third-party editing tools. However, Instagram bans videos with unlicensed music. So, it’s best to use an in-app library or a reliable source to get music, so your time and effort creating amazing content don’t get wasted.
We’ve compiled a list of sources you can get music from while ensuring you’re not violating the platform’s rules and can still add the music you want to your videos.
With its library of over 6,000+ royalty-free songs, Soundstripe is a great tool for enjoying a range of music tracks spanning genres and moods. The platform releases new tracks every week and allows advanced filters to search for the right music for your video.
It also allows direct integration with Adobe Premiere Pro and Twitch to make your editing process seamless across platforms.
What's better is that Soundstripe provides a range of 70,000+ stock video clips if you want to add exciting shots and transitions to your video—truly providing a wholesome experience that goes beyond choosing music for your videos.
Pricing: $12.50 per month; $149 per year
If you’re looking for royalty-free music, sound effects, music kits and even source files for different purposes, AudioJungle is a great choice. It has a vast audio library with over 1700,000 tracks and sounds for different budgets and requirements.
Every week, you also get access to a featured section with hand-picked songs and tracks by the team which you can use as Instagram story music to engage your audience further.
Pricing: Every track has its own pricing; starts from $1
As one of the most versatile platforms, you can find audio for possibly every purpose you need on Artlist—weddings, commercials, presentations, games, applications, cinema, and many more. You can also find your preferred music through innovative search filters like instrument type, genre, mood, and video theme, making the process more targeted.
Every week, the platform features a selected list of the most popular tracks. This way, you can also keep a check on what's trending and pick a fairly popular music track for your videos.
Pricing: Free trial, then $16.60 per month; $199 per year
What if, along with getting access to high-quality royalty-free music, you could also create your own music through AI-powered technology? Well, Loudly helps you achieve just that.
With over 25M+ creators as regular Loudly users, the platform allows you to pick or customize music for your video content projects. According to them, if you can't find a perfect fit for your video based on existing audio tracks—best to create a tailor-made sound specifically designed for the video.
It's an innovative tool backed by AI but with a powerful human touch that lets you create customized tracks in under five minutes.
Pricing: Free trial, then starts at $11 per month billed monthly or $9.99 per month billed yearly
If you're looking for a no-hassle, easy way to source free music, sound effects, and video templates for your videos, Mix kit is a great choice. It has a carefully curated library of audio tracks and effects from some of the best creators worldwide—with new tracks added every week.
You don't need to sign-up or give credits to use the music. Simply download the high-quality music track, and use it in your videos—it doesn't get simpler than this.
It’s not enough to create good content today. If you want to grab your audience’s attention on a crowded social media platform like Instagram, you need something to hook your audience and retain them till the end, so they engage with your content—and adding music to your content is a great way to do it.
Be it Instagram stories, reels, or feed posts—music can give your visual content a facelift to one-up other similar content and compel viewers to become an avid consumer of your videos.
Follow the methods listed in this article for how to add music to an Instagram post and source stunning music to enhance your content’s overall look and feel.
Don’t reinvent the wheel. Use an intuitive video editor like VEED to create professional-looking Instagram videos in minutes and take your social media game to a new level.